Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Badminton Freak!


Author: Stephanie Zen

Publisher: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama Year 2010

THIS is the first Teenlit novel that I bought. I never bought the Teen Lit novel before, because my age has been far from 'teen', although I still love reading teenage stories. This time I decided to buy because the title 'Badminton Freak' and after reading the synopsis of it.
A bit much, I felt having the same story with the characters, Fraya Aloysa Iskandar who fell in love with badminton. The difference is, Fraya had the moment when Ricky / Rexy won gold medals at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, long before I got the moment, maybe 10 years earlier, when Indonesia won the Thomas Cup and Hastomo Arbi as a hero. I did not mistake, in 1986 (Really old did not it, huh?)
It was exciting and tense at the time. After all, Indonesia missed the first from China after losing Liem Swie King in rubber sets, defeated by Luan Jin. Hastomo Arbi equalized by defeating Han Jian. Then Icuk Sugiarto lost againts Yang Yang. Fortunately, two Indonesian men's doubles partner were great, they could win the games. Whereas the last double, Liem Swie King / Kartono, a new pair because the genuine pair of Kartono, Haryanto, did not play. Indonesia finally won, I was so glad that time.
Nowaday I still like badminton, although I was not as crazy as before, untill collecting all the news about badminton in the newspaper --- especially about my idol Ivanna Lie. Moreover, today Indonesian badminton achievement begins to decline. Fortunately, there are still the couple of Markis Kido / Hendra Setyawan, and some other good players.
This novel is very interesting because several character of badminton players were real, such as Ricky/Rexy, Maria Kristin, Jo Novita, Liliyana Natsir, Simon Santoso, and several other players. Until I thought, Edward and Edgar Satria character were really exists, too.
This story is about a very fond badminton girl, Fraya while her boyfriend, Albert prefers basketball. Because of her love for badminton, Fraya tried really hard to watch the performances Thomas Cup / Uber Cup held in Istora, even she had to lie to Albert who asked her to watch his basketball game by pretending being sick. Consequently, when she caught, Albert angry and punished her by not allowing watch Uber Cup final between Indonesia vs China. Fraya was very upset. Moreover, in following day, Indonesian Thomas Cup team defeated by in the semi-final, and the China remain bringing Uber Cup to their home. Her relationship with Albert was getting worse, and finally broke up.
Fraya’s despondency could make her open to her mother, Mama who she thought didnot approve of her ideals of becoming badminton player. Mama finally understood the seriousness of Fraya and supported her love of badminton, including when Fraya knew a men's doubles badminton player, Edgar Satria, Mama supported her relationship with him. So in the end, despite failing become badminton player, Fraya got a boyfriend of a badminton athletes. Not bad! Rather than me who also aspire to be a badminton player, but also can not be a girlfriend of a badminton athletes.Hehehe ...
I liked all stories which have setting of sports background, whether they were short stories, novels or films. Any kinds of sport, for example football in 'Garuda in my chest', basketball in 'Beat Buzzer' (Japanese series), MVP Lover, Fireball, Bull Fighting (Taiwan series), and baseball in the 'Strike Love' (Korean Series), and Rookies (Japanese Film), and badminton in the film 'King' and the novel 'Badminton Freak'. If there are others else, you may recommend to me, and told where I could get them. There are also providing several other titles, but I have not got them although I had hunt on a kiosk or shop around quite often.
(Thanks for reading this summary! If you don’t mind, please visit my blog, and you will find my writing more about anything interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment